Today's challenge is to create a news release for your upcoming book, or a press kit on your website.
A press release is a single page of information you can email or hand to the media about your book.
- It starts with a hook: why is your book release news? This is where you mention the "unique twist" I talked about in the post on How to Launch Your Book.
- Follow this with your author's bio. Why are you qualified to write this book?
- Then a short description of your book - the blurb you wrote to entice readers to read it will work here.
- Next some quotes praising your book from reputable sources - a well-known author, an authority on the subject, a magazine that reviews books, or if none of the previous, some satisfied readers.
- Conclude politely with your request for an interview, a short mention in the paper, whatever the one purpose of the press release is.
- Include your contact info if they want to contact you. Offer photos of the event/of you/of your book cover.
A website press kit is a spot on your website where journalists can find the information they need to write a story on your book or e-book, or readers can find what they need to convince them to buy your book. It includes many of the same elements as your press release:
- Your author bio (check out “How to write an author bio.”), professional photo and a photo of your book cover which they can copy and use.
- A blurb about your book which shows its uniqueness and how readers will benefit from reading it.
- Your credentials - previous books, your qualifications to write this book, expert endorsements, etc.
- A fact sheet of what is in your book if it's non-fiction.
- An optional Q&A sheet in case they don't have time to interview you themselves.