Today let's consider where your story takes place and, once again, what research and/or invention you will need to do to write convincingly about that place.
1. Where (what location) does your story take place?
2. What is the climate, topography, architecture, natural disasters, etc in that location?
3. What would be recurring sights/smells/sounds in this location?
NOTE: for example, in Canada, snow and cold weather have a strong influence on our lives. It affects our clothing, transportation, sports & leisure activities, architecture (more two-story homes than bungalows- heat rises - a good thing, here) etc.
4. How does this location (refer to your answers to questions 1-3 above) impact your story? How does it affect your characters and your plot?
5. Why is this location essential to the story you have to tell?
6. Describe a few specific places (a building, a beach, a garden, etc.) within your general location that will be significant in your story. Write a paragraph describing each of these places with as much detail as possible and referring to as many senses as possible.
If you feel like sharing anything about today's exercise, please leave a comment, or share this post on . We can all learn from each other. See you tomorrow!